Manufactured board that is often used in furniture because it can be made cheaply and is more affordable than solid timber but has a similar look.
Mostly found in furniture that requires a large piece such as table tops, desks and television cabinets, this saves people the time and money from having to bond two pieces of wood together to achieve the same size.
This type of board is made from wood chips which are glued together and then compressed under heat in a large board shape, it is then dried and cut into various sizes.
The boards can either be bought bare or covered with thin sheets of veneer or a plastic laminate, these two materials give the board a solid timber look and feel while costing less.
Particle board is a good alternate option when buying furniture to a budget because it gives the impression of solid timber and it usually lasts for long periods of time if looked after and taken care of well, like all solid timber.
• Cost effective
• Available in large sizes
• Veneer or plastic laminate can be applied to make it look more like solid timber
• No visible natural defects and It doesn’t swell
• Still doesn’t quite match the quality of solid timber
• Can be prone to chips or flakes
• Not available in very thick sizes
• It isn’t suitable for many joints